ratchet n : mechanical device consisting of a toothed wheel or rack engaged with a pawl that permits it to move in only one direction [syn: rachet, ratch] v : move by degrees in one direction only; "a ratcheting lopping tool" [syn: rachet up, ratchet down]
- Rhymes: -ætʃɪt
- To cause to become incremented or decremented.
- To increment or decrement.
- It's time to ratchet up the intensity level here.
- Italian: munire di arpionismo
- Italian: funzionare grazie ad un arpionismo
A ratchet may refer to:
- Ratchet (device), a mechanical device for controlling rotational motion
- Socket wrench, a tool that makes use of the above mechanical device
- A part of some forceps, to fix the blades of the forceps, such as in surgical forceps
- Ratchet (instrument), a music instrument
- Ratchet (Ratchet & Clank), a fictional character from the Ratchet & Clank video game series
- Ratchet (Robots), a fictional character and the villain in the animation film Robots
- Ratchet (Transformers), a Transformers toy and fictional character
- Ratchet, a fictional character from the ecological cartoon series Widget the World Watcher
- Nurse Ratched, a fictional character from the novel and film One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest also Nurse Ratchet from an episode of the animated series Futurama
- a slang term for a Folding Knife or Pocket knife; a favourite of the Rudeboys of 60s Jamaica
- the hounds of Annwn in the Cŵn Annwn in Brythonic mythology
- a mechanism in corporate finance (also called Cliquet option)
- Quantum stirring, ratchets, and pumping, in physics
- Brownian ratchet, in physics
- Muller's ratchet, in genetics
ratchet in Japanese: ラチェット (曖昧さ回避)